April 20, 2012

Coming soon: Bel Ami





Girls, get set to swoon for the next Robert Pattinson film adaption, that promises to have the young British heart throb getting his kit off and spending much of his screen time in the bedroom.

No, I’m not talking about the final installation of Breaking Dawn – hitting cinemas in May 2012 is Bel Ami, a adaptation of French author Guy de Maupassant’s 1885 novel, set in 19th Century Paris.

The English translation of Bel Ami – The History of a Scoundrel – hints at the nature of Pattinson’s character. As Georges Duroy, he will be portraying an ex-soldier who forges a career in journalism by seducing a series of high-society women.

Among his conquests are Uma Thurman, as Madeleine Forestier; Kristin Scott Thomas, as Madame Walter; and Christina Ricci, as Clotilde de Marelle.

The novel was turned into several films – including Bel Ami (1939) and The Private Affairs of Bel Ami (1949) – and theatre productions.

The role seems to be a good choice for Pattinson. It will no doubt appeal to his fans, who are pining to see evidence of his sexual prowess, and at the same time allows him to shed the chastity belt of Twilight’s Edward Cullen.

I love a good period drama and, going by the trailer, this film appears to have a sufficient amount of steamy, bodice-busting escapism.

Look out for my review when the film is released in Australia on May 24.


I would be very happy to receive your comments and feedback on ‘Book or Big Screen’ – please click on the below link to tell me what film adaptation you are excited about, or to suggest the book/film that I should review next.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I've heard of this one but doubt it will raise my curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danielle.
    Love your blog. I've decided to prove my blog love by giving you a Liebster Blog Award. Congrats :)
    http://adagslife.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/my-very-first-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kim, that is really lovely of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm right in the throws of reading this book now, guys. Stay tuned, a full review is on its way!

    ReplyDelete